Friday, August 2, 2013

GOP Sharks and Food Stamps: You're gonna need a bigger boat ...

Life Saver Under Constant Attack and Now Nearly Surrounded 


This post title was my idea taken from the movie JAWS  (1975). In the case of food stamps and the increased GOP shark attacks, families on public assistance like the SNAP program (food stamps) surely will need a bigger boat.

This story (August 2, 2013) from NBC says it all: "House Republican leaders are to present a bill that would cut the food stamps program by $40 billion over 10 years, a move opposed by Democrats.  Republicans say the program, whose enrollment soared after the 2008-09 recession, is unbearably expensive at $78 billion a year."  

What is it with this GOP ... the more harsh, the better. Sure seems like it. Here is one of millions of stories about why this program is critical:  

"How did I get on food stamps? By being poor. A magazine I wrote for went bankrupt, a book deal fell through, and the next thing I knew, I was broke." 

"In government-speak, you must earn under 130 percent of the federal poverty line and have less than $100 in liquid assets to qualify. This means most of my income goes to pay my rent, and with the few dollars left over, I struggle to pay for prescription drugs, gas, food, utility bills, and anything else I might need." 

"Enter food stamps. After providing Uncle Sam with a heap of documentation, I was awarded a whopping $70 per month in assistance. It’s not unheard of for Americans to spend that much at a restaurant for just one meal, but that’s what I get for an entire month. When you’re that poor, it makes a big difference." 

"SNAP does work as advertised — the program does help hungry people. Yet, I feel its impact as an economic stimulus is even more important."

This GOP takes the easy way out: They don't solve problems, they just up the ante and take 5 weeks off to go home and tell the voters why they should keep them in office ... this outta sell big time back home I suspect.

No comments: